top of page

Acerca de

Educational Toys

School Challenges

Difficulties that may face students:

  • Speech Delays/Impairment. Students may require more time or alternative methods of instruction.

  • Fatigue- Due to hypotonia or medications

  • Impaired vision

  • Shortness of breath from heart and/or lung involvement

  • Difficulty holding a pencil because of impaired strength or coordination, may be worse as the day progresses—may require physical and/or occupational therapy

  • Headaches

  • ADD/ADHD. Management of these conditions in KBG children requires the same testing, strategies, and accommodations as for children in the general population.

  • Students with KBG syndrome may spend a lot of time with doctors, in hospitals, and getting medical tests. In some cases, they may miss school for surgery, therapies, or other treatments. Some students take this in stride, while others are stressed and frightened.

  • Learning Difficulties. Some students with KBG Syndrome may take longer to learn, require additional supports or time. The earlier students receive GOOD intervention that is tailored to their needs the higher the chances they will succeed. 

Challenges and Accommodations

Federal law dictates that children with special needs are usually entitled to receive special services and or accommodations at school. This includes a free and appropriate education in the child's least restrictive environment. There are three laws that apply specifically to children with special needs: 

  • The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) (1975)

  • Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973

  • The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) (1990)

What can I do as a parent?

Advocate! While it may not be easy a parent of a child with special needs should always advocate for appropriate services. It may seem complicated and overwhelming but here are a few steps that you may find helpful: 

  • Parents should request copies of their school district's Section 504 plan. This is especially important when a school district refuses services.

  • If the school district does not respond to your request, you can contact a U.S. Department of Education Office of Civil Rights Regional Office for assistance.

  • If the school district refuses services under the IDEA or Section 504 or both, you may choose to challenge this decision through a due process hearing (a legal hearing in which you and your child have an advocate who can help talk about your views and concerns).

  • It may also be necessary to hire your own lawyer if you decide to appeal a school's decision.

  • Other resources for parents include: the State Department of Education, Bazelon Center for Health Law at

Circle of people
bottom of page